Pages

Sunday 12 August 2007

Game 508

COTON GREEN 3-0 THIMBLEMILL R.E.C.
Saturday 11th August 2007
Midland Combination Division 1
New Mill Lane, Tamworth

My general rule of thumb is that I will at present take in games within an hours drive of my home and this one fitted the bill nicely. Coton Green also play in a division in which I had watched 11 of the 17 current teams and having been promoted in the summer another good reason I thought.


The location of the ground is in the Fazeley area of Tamworth a couple of minutes from the old A5 - very easy to get to, while the ground itself has a rural feel about it. There are no floodlights or cover but according to the programme there are plans to add the latter.

No admission was charged and from a head count I would say 20 people were in attendance, though a 12 programme was for sale for £1 in the club house - they were not advertised and I only found them by accident when looking for the toilets as I saw them on a table. The game itself was not one to remember. Coton Green scored two goals midway through the first half (20 and 27 minutes when they took advantage of mistakes by the visitors. Either side of that saw few chances created in a game which considering the heat was played at quick pace. The second half saw Thimblemill press a lot more and certainly hd the better chances but could not force a telling shot on the home goal. The home team's third came on, I think 70 minutes when they hit the visitors on the counter and 'a player' scored with a lob over the keeper from a narrow angle.

Next up is probably Teversal's F.A. Cup tie at home to Coventry Sphinx on Saturday 18th.

2 comments:

Dave Cooper said...

Evening.

I've added a link to your excellent blog to my fledgling site:

[url=www.coops1989.blogspot.com]Am I Supposed To Be At Home?[/url]

Hope you don't mind!

Dave Cooper said...

That didn't work very well, sorry!