Wednesday, 22 August 2007

Game 510

Station Road, Collingham
Central Midlands League Premier Division
Tuesday 21st August 2007

I don't do many midweek games but when I saw this fixture I thought that it would be ideal as it is close enough to visit within the time constraints that I had. Newark Town had also been on my hit list since the joined the Central Midlands League a few years ago.

Newark play at the now defunct Collingham F.C.'s ground on Station Road in Collingham which is about four miles north of Newark-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire and is typical of grounds you find at this level. There are floodlights and a small stand on the clubhouse side of the ground which would hold maybe 30 people dry. It was £2 admission which included a 24 page programme and not a bad effort it was too.

The first half was played in a constant drizzle and brisk wind which didn't help proceedings but the game itself was played at 100mph (which seems to be the norm these days), with both teams at times resorting to the long ball tactic which suited them neither. There were not many attempts on goal to note and the first twenty five minutes had nil nil written all over it. Then came the saving grace when the visitors took the lead through a volley from their number 11 - no idea who as no line-ups were announced. This was probably just about deserved. The rest of the half saw both teams huff and puff wihout causing any problems and the half ended 1-0 to Thoresby.

No food was available at the ground so I went and found the local chippy which was located next to the health centre two minutes drive from the ground - £1.50 for sausage and chips which if I might add were very tasty.

The second half was thankfully played at a slower pace and the game was better for it. Newark had an excellent spell of posession for 10 or 15 minutes at the start of the half but could not find goal that they deserved. Thoresby soaked up the pressure and scored again on 63 minutes from their number 9 through an almight scramble. The home keeper looked to have got the ball under control but somehow it came free for the afore mentioned player to tap the ball home. The last quarter saw the home side of the majority of posession with the visitors trying to catch them on the counter attack which nearly worked when their number 10 hit the bar with a lovely curling shot.

Overall a better second half and the scoreline was in the end probably a fair reflection of the game and chances created.

Final Score: 0-2 (attendance 25 - counted)

Post a Comment