Thursday, 27 March 2008

Easter Monday Part 2 (Game 533)

Kiveton Park 2-1 Calverton Miners Welfare
Monday 24th March 2008
Central Midlands League Premier Division
Hard Lane

The second part of a Central Midlands League double bill saw me head south towards home and stop off at Kiveton Park for a 3pm kick-off. Due to having time to kill I stopped off at Woodhall services on the M1 and then made the further 15 minute journey to Kiveton Park. The football ground on Hard Lane is on the edge of the village and has off road parking for a handful of cars. Admission was £2 with a further £1 for a programme and this was payable in the catering hut.

There are three pitches on the Hard Lane complex with the main one with stand being the middle of the three. It does, unfortunately have an air of despair around the place through the efforts of the local chavs. In the programme the club stated that they would like to enclose the ground properly to keep out the afore mentioned locals, then build new dressing rooms and install floodlights. The club also do not have a clubhouse on site so no alcohol is available.

Going into the game saw Kiveton occupy 4th place and Calverton heading the division with Ollerton and Kinsley sitting between them. I did not have to wait long for the opening goal with Rob Jones with the home side the lead after 6 minutes from an overhead kick following a corner. Both sides tried to play football and keep the ball down on an excellent pitch. The game started off in bright sunshine but after 10 minutes or so we were joined by the snow which laster for he remainder of the half. Calverton nearly equalised on 20 minutes when their no. 10 saw his shot roll past the wrong side of the post. The visitors did though equalise on 28 minutes when Craig Boulton scored with a header following a cross from the right hand side. This was just two minutes after they should have been awarded a penatly - why they weren't was a mystery to all in the ground and even the home keeper who had commited the offence! Further chances occured for both teams but the half ended 1-1.

The second half carried on as the first ended with both teams not wanting to settle for a point and went for the win. Chances were created by both teams and it was looking likely that a draw would be the end result. Alas this theory proved to be incorrect as the home snatched the winner five minutes from time through Chris Nelson, who scrambled the ball home following a goalmouth scramble.

Final score: 2-1 (attendance: 45 - head count)

Seventy Five minutes after the final whistle I was back home in Leicester after the drive down the M1 to Leicester. I was thinking of watching Loughborough University in an evening kick-off but would have had too much time to kill, anyway they can wait till the end of this season or next season. I like to do a few local clubs each season so holding them back as it were will not nessesarily be a bad thing.
Post a Comment