Sunday, 14 September 2008

Derbyshire la la la

Parkhouse 1-3 Westella & WillerbySaturday 13th September
Central Midlands League Premier DivisionMill Lane

Again having got up early after my night shift I decided to make the most of the good weather and take in a game. I had two criteria in choosing where to go. 1) It must be reasonably near to home and 2) It would be a non-floodlit ground. Had a quick look on the net saw Parkhouse were at home to CML new boys Westella & Willerby. A tick on both accounts and decision made. Plugged ground postcode into sat nav and left home @ around 1.30pm and made my way up the M1 to Derbyshire and more specifically Old Turton which is just outside the town of Clay Cross, and took just over an hour to get there.

Entering the ground by car I am charged £2 admission which includes the match day programme. The programme by the way is an excellent effort and I would not be disappointed if I had paid another £1 for it and I also managed to get a pin badge for £3 from the secretary. The ground is not floodlight and also has no cover - ideal for days like today. The club have laid foundations for a stand on the Mill Lane side of the ground so watch this space as it were.

Now to the game...

The visitors took the game to Parkhouse from the start and created numerous chances before they got the opening goal on 18 minutes, when the ball was played across from the right and was tapped in at the far post by Tom Dent. Four minutes later and it was all square as Paul Bicknall scored with a header from a corner. A further six minutes passed and the visitors regained the lead when Matt Fyvie struck a low shot into the bottom right hand corner from 12 yards or so. Westella continued to look the more dangerous and had the better of proceddings during the remainder of the half. The hosts should have been level at half time as their number six hit the woodwork with an angled shot with time about up. The second period saw the home side have the better chances and play the better football - just better finishing required and the game would have had a different outcome. The hosts were again unlucky when the frame of the goal was struck with the score still at 2-1 but it was the visitors who scored a crucial third goal on 79 minutes through a header from Lee Jackson. No further goals ensued and the game ended with a 3-1 victory to Westella & Willerby. An enjoyable and competitive game at a nice friendly club. A visit is well recommended.


Parkhouse -
Westella & Willerby -
Post a Comment