Tuesday, 1 September 2009

ABH - part 2

Monday 31st August 2009
Central Midlands League Supreme Division
The Summit Centre

Following on from the midday kick-off between Bulwell and Basford United I made the short drive north to Kirkby-in-Ashfield and specifically The Summit Centre, home of Kirkby Town Football Club for this 3pm kick-off against Blidworth Welfare. The Summit Centre is situated on Lowmoor Road in the town and took around 25 minutes to get there from Greenwich Avenue. Admission to the ground is £3 with a further £1 for a programme. Cover is in the form of a stand on the right hand side of the ground while a grass bank provides an elevated view on the other.

Kirkby Town were formed as Sutton Junction in 1998 playing in the Mansfield Sunday League, firstly changing their name to Walkers FC and then in 2005 to the present title which was also when they were offered use of the pitch at The Summit Centre. Kirkby entered a Saturday team for the first time last season when they were accepted into the Central Midlands League (CML) Premier Division and finished in a creditable 3rd place behind league champions Louth United and Westella & Willerby. Opponents Blidworth have been around much longer being formed in 1926 as Folk House Old Boys, changing their name in 1982 to their current title. Blidworth are currently in their second spell in the CML, rejoining in 1998 having spent the four previous seasons in the Northern Counties East League.

Overall a fair result on the balance of play with Blidworth scoring more goals today than in their previous four outings.

After the weekends results Kirkby found themselves in eighth place and had obtained seven points from their opening five games, while Blidworth had achieved a solitary win, scoring only one goal in the process and were in 15th place in the 19 team division. The game was disrupted in only the 3rd minute when, after a heavy but fair challenge a Kirkby player had to go to hospital for an apparent dislocated shoulder. The home side took the lead on 15 minutes through a Leroy Wilson finish. Three minutes later and Kirkby were awarded a penalty after the keeper shoved over their no.10 after originally making a fair challenge for the ball. The chance was not taken however as Jay Edwards had his shot saved by the keeper. It didn’t take long for the home side to go two in front when a free kick from Edwards was headed in by a Blidworth defender. The away side then got into the game more and had two excellent chances to get themselves on the score sheet, the first coming on 32 minutes when the ball was put over from a few yards out after a good cross from the left hand side, and the second coming on 40 minutes when they hit the post with a header. Blidworth did get a goal back on 59 minutes when the ball was headed home from a corner. Both sides had chances to add to the scoring only for the visitors to get a 90th minute equaliser which came about from a free kick given just inside Blidworth’s half.
Post a Comment