Friday, 7 September 2012

Athletic v Athletic

Friday 7th September 2012
Alliance Football League Division 4
Kirkby Road, Desford, Leicestershire

A glorious day weather wise convinced me to make a fifteen minute drive to Desford, this for a Sunday League match being played on a Friday evening. 

The two teams involved today are newly formed with Countesthorpe stepping up from youth football. Both teams started their season last Sunday and both lost their respective match. Countesthorpe lost 5-3 against CSKA Carnabys on the artificial surface at Rawlins Community College in Quorn, while Desford were thumped 5-1 at home to Oadby Owls Mens.

The venue on Kirkby Road is basically the village recreation ground. A play area is on the left with the changing rooms, decorated with a mural set further back. As expected there is nothing pitch side, though if anyone fancies a seat they can perch on one of the large stones that behind the near goal.

The game started with the visitors dominating and looking most likely to open the scoring, but against the run of play Desford won a corner on sixteen minutes which was headed home. Eight minutes later and it became 2-0 when the ball was tapped home from a couple of yards out at the far post. Three minutes later and the hosts made it 3-0 with a flick over the oncoming keeper, before the final goal of the half coming on thirty seven minutes. A through ball was finished with aplomb into the bottom corner to make it 4-0. On the balance of play the score was harsh on a young Countesthorpe side, with it being naivety at the back and a lack of communication being their downfall.
The changing rooms suitably decorated
The second half was only five minutes old when Desford went 5-0 up - a ball over the top was drilled across the keeper into the bottom corner. Poor defending three minutes later from a corner was punished and the hosts were six goals to the good. Counteshorpe got some reward for their effort around the hour mark when they made it 6-1, as their (I think) #2 drove into the penalty area and flashed a shot past the Desford keeper. The hosts' six goal cushion was restored with twenty minutes left to play as a long throw was not dealt with, which resulted in a first time shot finding the corner of the goal. The final fifteen minutes saw Countesthorpe restore some pride and gave the game a more fairer reflection. They notched up three goals on 75, 83 and 87 minutes, the first was a free kick that was prodded home, the second from the penalty spot, and the third was again from a free kick ended with a tap in. 

I did wonder what the standard would be like, with it being the fifth tier of the Alliance League and the lowest standard (on paper at least) of Sunday League football that I have watched, but it wasn't that bad. Both sides had some good players with the pitch not helping causing some untimely bobbles etc.

Anyway fifty photos of the game can be viewed in the slideshow below:
Post a Comment