Tuesday, 11 December 2012


Firstly let me appologise for their being no new updates to the blog for the past three weeks, and secondly the blog will not be going into hibernation for the remainder of the winter months. I just need to give myself a kick up the backside every now and then!!!

Since the last post I have seen three football games and one basketball match. Firstly the football - on November 24th when the country was being drenched and matches postponed on mass, unsurprisingly my scheduled game between Buckingham Town and Oadby Town was postponed around midday. 

Corby Town's game in the FA Trophy was on and I made my way across to "Little Scotland" and ticked off their new ground, Steel Park. The ground backs on their previous home and by the end of it was glad I made the effort. It was a cracking cup tie that saw Corby come from two down at half time to beat Hayes & Yeading United 3-2. The winner came in the 90th minute from Leon McKenzie. It cost £10 admission and a further £2 for a programme - this was overpriced in my opinion and only worth half the amount. Despite all the rain the pitch was in excellent condition and held up very well during the game, so credit to the club for that.

On the Sunday with the wife at work my plan was to watch a game in the Alliance Football League, but the only one I found on was on the artificial pitch at Rawlins Community College in Quorn. This saw CSKA Carnabys play Royale Barcabullona in the 3rd round of the Bill Walton Cup and pitted two teams that were three divisions apart. It wasn't a bad game that was played in a biting wind, from which there was no escape and the visitors ran out 4-1 winners.

Ten days ago I decided I didn't fancy freezing my bollocks off standing in the cold for two hours so walked down to Braunstone Leisure Centre. The reason was to watch some basketball between the Leicester Warriors and Leeds Carnegie in the English National League Division 1. I had never seen a game of basketball before but I really enjoyed it. The Warriors won the game 71-68 in overtime after the two teams had been locked together on 65 points each at the end of the 4th quarter. There was no admission charge and all I spent was £1.25 on a cup of coffee. 

Finally to last Saturday and a trip to St Neots and more specifically Eynesbury Rovers FC. On the morning of the game I felt dreadful, but dosed myself up with medication and firstly made my way to Oadby Town FC, as you see this was my first away day with the Poachers this season. I, along with fellow supporters went on a mini bus organised by the club and it took around one hour to reach the ground. Eynesbury Rovers play at the Alfred Hall Memorial Ground and a friendly welcome was received. It cost £4 admission and a further £1 for a programme. The game pitted two sides at the top end of the United Counties League Division 1 table, with both losing one game each all season. As expected an even first half followed and the teams went in at half time 0-0. At the start of the second half Oadby took the lead through Sam Benjamin, a goal that not only proved to be the winner but also  missed by a good percentage of the spectators including myself. Oadby then had some excllent chances to put the game to bed, but could find the crucial second goal. In the end they were thankful for some excellent defending and an excellent save from Denham Hinds to secure the three points. It was a decent turn out from the Oadby supporters who made up at least a 1/3 of the 94 in attendance.  

22 photos of the ground and game can be viewed in the slideshow below:
Post a Comment