Saturday, 8 October 2011

Prims o'clock

Saturday 8th October 2011
East Midlands Counties League
Greene King Park

Following on from a disappointing 1-1 draw last Saturday against Ibstock United, Oadby are at home again for the third successive Saturday. For good measure Oadby will be at home again next Saturday as well in a rearranged game against high flying Heanor Town. This is due to Barrow Town still being involved in the FA Cup following their excellent 4-1 win at Northern Premier League side Mickleover Sports last Saturday.

Oadby still remain unbeaten in their 2011/12 league campaign with five wins and two draws from their opening seven games, with both draws coming against Ibstock United. Prims currently occupy 14th place with two wins coming from their ten games played so far. The two teams played each other just three weeks ago with Oadby recording a 3-1 victory at the Prims Asterdale Sports Centre ground in Borrowash.

Oadby warmed up for their top of the table clash against Heanor Town next Saturday with a comfortable victory. Prims started the brightest which was helped with Oadby giving away a few silly and needless free kicks. Only one was in striking range but Matt Freeman put in a few yards over the Oadby goal. Oadby eventually settled and a Jon Stevenson volley was deflected over. From the resulting corner the opening goal game as Harley Hollinshead turned the ball into his own net. Oadby's best spell of the half came either side of the half hour mark, as firstly following excellent work from Stevenson on the right his low cross was put agonisingly wide of the left upright. Then on 31 minutes Stevenson received the ball, ran at the Prims defence and finished well into the far corner. Just six minutes later and it was game over as Oadby scored their third of the afternoon. Steve Fenton played a ball over the Prims defence for Michael Reeves whose touch took it away from keeper Chris Dodlsey and he finished from a yard or two out. 
Jon Stevenson (far right) scoring Oadby's second goal.

HT: 3-0

The second half was a non event as a contest as Oadby did not have to get out of second gear. The home fans did not have to wait long for the fourth goal as it came within six minutes of the restart. Whether he meant it or not but Fenton hit a free kick that went into the top corner despite Dodsley getting a hand to it. It was then a case of how many but a combination of a): good goalkeeping from Dodsley who saved well from Stevenson and Piper and b): appearing to want to walk the ball into the net at time kept the score down. Oadby's 5th and final goal of the afternoon came with three minutes left, when Matt Piper crossed 1st time and found debutant Ash Palfreyman unmarked in the penalty area and he finished well into the bottom corner.
Attendance: 110
Match rating: 3 out of 5

A slideshow of photos taken before and during the game can be viewed below:

Post a Comment